Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mission Newsletter #44


On Monday night, after making Gumbo with Causey's for our P-day fun, a tornado came through! Touched down LITERALLY around the corner from our house. Kind of crazy cool! Wasn't a terribly bad one though. It was rated an F1, which F5 is the highest, so we were all ok. :) Kind of fun to be in though! Did the strict instructions we get as missionaries from President and partied in the tub. Fun stuff! 







So, this week, Sister Woodard and I have been trying to think outside the box to help find people who are ready to receive the gospel. By doing so, we actually found ourselves thinking inside the Box! In downtown, we came across a little Library box! Take one book and you give one! Genius! So we took the scandal book and got rid of it and replaced it with a Book of Mormon! All Sister Woodard's idea. :) We placed our card in there too, hoping that someone will call us about it down the road. We'll see!

The GORGEOUS Sunsets here!
We also did a bit of tracting. Not gonna lie, not my fave. I'm trying to find more joy in it though. It's one of my many weaknesses... Anywho, while tracting, we ran into a retired baptist preacher. Oh Joy! It was rough; however, once again, it only strengthens my testimony and the knowledge I have of the gospel. One of the many things he explained to us is that it's all by grace we are saved, and that once you are saved, you are always saved. By that logic, it doesn't matter what you do tomorrow: lie, steal, cheat, murder, etc. What a distorted truth. It saddens me. Yes, our works alone can't save us, and it is only through Jesus Christ, but there is so much more. Our works have a HUGE role in the midst of it. Why would Christ show and teach the way if it didn't matter if you followed the way? It just doesn't add up. Satan wants us to think that it doesn't matter what we do. He takes the plain and precious truths and makes them pleasing to the man. I know "it takes two baby." We must do all we can to live according to the way God would have us live and Christ is the one who has made it possible for us to be forgiven for those times when we do fall short and mess up. There is so much joy in following His commandments and I am so grateful He has given them to us and asked us to follow in his ways. I am so grateful to be a Mormon! 
The Nerd that I am
Outside of planting seeds and talking to everyone, we have been still teaching Amber and helping her prepare for baptism. Yes, BAPTISM! She has been interviewed and everything is squared away for her to be baptized this coming Saturday at 11am! Wahoo!! We are so excited for her. She's faced a little opposition, but she is holding strong. She is so sweet and ready to start a new chapter in her life, which is so good! I know she'll be so blessed by this experience.

Lynn and Joe are still doing great! Love them. :)

This week we were privileged to see Mary be baptized as well. She has been taught by Elder Matson
Mary's Baptism
and Elder VanDyke. We've just helped with the fellowshipping process and such, but she was so happy. At the baptism, we went with her and a member into the bathroom that led into the font. Mary was a little nervous. (She didn't want to slip or anything.) So, we said a prayer with her. After closing, she took a deep breath and said, "I'm ready." We watched her as she went into and out of the water. It went beautifully, no tripping or falling or nothing. In the bathroom, as she changed out of the wet clothes, she giggled. She was so happy! She kept repeating "That was easy as pie!" and "I can't believe I did it! This is the best decision I have ever made.... next to marrying my husband." haha. She was so cute! She was glowing from head to toe. It was such a privilege to be part of that and to see her so happy and ready to be living with the Lord by her side.

That is what it is all about, coming unto Christ. We all have to be baptized in order to live with our Father in Heaven and Savior, Jesus Christ again. Christ didn't need to be baptized to remove sin, for he was sinless. Neither did He do it just as an example for us. It goes deeper than that. He did it to "fulfill all righteousness." We all have to be baptized in order to enter in the gates of heaven, and that was true for Christ too. By doing so, we can be so happy, receive so many blessings and live with our Heavenly Family in the eternities. I know this is so true and I want everyone I can be up there in heaven with me. The More the Merrier! :) I love the gospel. I love all the truths found within it and I love the joy it brings. Can't get any greater warm and fuzzies than that!

I love you all and thank you for all you do for me. I love you! (again)
Join the Cause! Spread the Gospel!
Love ya!

Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment