Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Missionary Newsletter #56 (Jan 12)

Sorry I didn't send any letters last week. I had a lot to do and not enough time to attack them. You'll get plenty this time though! :D
This week was a week full of exchanges and blizzardy weather. In the pic, the weather looks just perfect, right? WRONG! That ice under my feet is a perfect example of the chill we experienced as we were out tracting. haha. In the south, we don't have much snow or anything, but we do have a breeze. Yes, this mild, whimpy breeze can be pretty powerful due to the humidity. It just pierces straight through you and insta-freezes your bones! Brrr! Good thing is that winter clothes are adorable. So bundling us isn't too much of a pain. ;)
This next two months is member-missionary month for our mission. So we have really been pushing hard to work with the members and it has been great! We went from having an average of 2-3 member present lessons to 9 this week! It was a big victory for us! We worked really hard this week to match and surpass our goals. It has been such a blessing to see how the Lord helps us with these goals we make to push ourselves and motivate ourselves in the work! 
Trying Gator!!! Bucket List crossed off!!!! ;)

 
Fun at the Park
Some sweet girls we met at the park and we did leave them each with a BOM. They were so cute and excited! :)
In addition, we had the meeting with Chris this week. He was going to have a Bible-bash like meeting with the elders. However, when we stopped by his place, we were able to set up a time to visit with him separately, outside of this bash. It didn't go as well as we had hoped... His concerns were not the anti-mormon concerns that are lies that we can clear up, but issues he had with church history and some scriptures in the Book of Mormon. They seriously are things you just have to pray about and get confirmation in. However, he wouldn't take that for an answer because he knows that the Lord has given us brains and expects us to do our part. This principle is VERY true. However, God also expects us to follow Him, even if we don't understand everything. (1 Ne 11:17) Towards the end of the discussion, Chris turned to me and asked if I've been raised in the church and I answered yes. He then proceeded to say, "Well you did have moments where you had to find out it was true, but when you found out these problem with the church, wouldn't you say it was easy to fall back to it since it is all you have known?" I knew right then that is was a moment I had to defend my faith and my testimony. I told Chris straight out, "Trust me. I am a stubborn person. My mom really encouraged me to serve a mission, but I REFUSED to go until the Lord told me it was what He wanted me to do. I insist on discovering things on my own. And to be honest, as missionaries, we get people who bring up these things to us all the time. If I told you my faith has never been shaken, it would be a lie. It can be hard having people telling you you are wrong. I had to pray and do my own studies to know. God told me this is the true church. I could never leave it or doubt it. Even if my parents left the church, I would still stand faithfully beside it. I know it is true and no one could convince me otherwise." He followed up asking, "But what if you find out that you are wrong when you meet up with God?" "I would have no regrets. I know this church has made me my best self. I don't think God would ever be mad at me for doing all I can to serve and worship Him. No God could hate His child for that." With that said, the meeting came to an end. I don't know if it made a difference or pricked his heart at all, but all I know is that we gave it all we got. He has legitimate concerns. I can't blame him for that. And if he continues to study with real intent, God will tell him it's true. 
I love being a messenger and defender of the truth! It is a priceless opportunity I've been able to have for the last year and a half. It has changed my life and continues to do so. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! Let us all press on! Steadfast in Christ!

With Lots of Love, 
Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment