Friday, January 24, 2014

Mission Newsletter #15

Eating Sukiyaki for the first time at Sister Gunter's! Yum!
This week has been full of tracting! We are trying to find more people to teach. We are teaching a few (Katelyn: age 16 and Logan: age 8), but overall, we need a bigger teaching pool. Our days are becoming harder and harder to fill as we run out of people to see. But it's been good! We have found a really nice lady, Linda, who seems promising and a college-aged boy, Mike, who we will be passing on to the elders. We can tell he is also really interested; we just can't tell if he's interest in us or the gospel... Werr, weerrr, wweeeerrrrr.

The highlight of this week was definitely with Alisa and her family at fhe! We taught the family on missionary work! We made all the kids future missionary tags and we taught how they could start being a missionary now. I asked Alisa to share with her family why she has been feeling the need to share the gospel with her sisters and friends (since that is what she's been telling us she's been doing.) She then went off a completely different direction than I expected! She started telling us how amazing WE are for teaching her family and she wants to make sure we know that and that she loves us. So, I then tried to tie it back in, so we could make it work with the lesson, but instead, I ended up sounding completely conceded! I began, "Like you said Alisa, we're amazing... Wait! I didn't mean that!" Too late. The damage was done. The spirit was gone and roaring laughter filled the room. Oh well. What can you do?

Sister Kilgore's Birthday! (although you can tell
she isn't too pleased about the Sundae. hehe. So cute.)
Also, this week we were able to go out with Sister Kilgore to teach. It was her birthday! And she took US out to lunch! Shouldn't it be the other way around?! She is just so sweet! But, don't worry, we had them sing to her and she got a free Chocolate Sundae, which broke her diet. Because of this, we had to get a dessert too, so she wouldn't be eating it alone. Sister Senior got a Sundae as well and I got... fruit. Yep. Story of my life. haha. Also, this Sunday at church, she informed me that she bought a cook book for me that has recipes for people with allergies! She made a packet for the ward members of all the recipes I could eat so I don't get sick anymore. It was like 15 pages! How sweet! And she also are making egg replacer packets and carrying them around on Sundays for whenever people want it from her. She is such a sweetheart! It is incredible everything she has done for me. She has just taken such good care of me! I love her so much! And so, we heart attacked her and the Bishop as a big thank you!

The Kilgore's heart attack!
Fun Moment! Sister White always tells us that if they're not home, don't be afraid to come in and use theb athroom or whatever. We've never done it yet, but this week, we needed to and thought we'd do some service and clean her kitchen while we were at it! The funny thing is that later, we discovered she was home... Just in her room and couldn't hear us. Good thing we didn't scare her and she didn't mind! haha. I love Sister White!
Surprising Sister White with kitchen cleaning!
Also, this week we were able to sit down and talk to Tywanna. Can I say I just love her SOOOOO much! I have really missed visiting with her! She is been so amazing though. She hasn't stopped reading her scriptures and praying daily. You can tell the Holy Ghost really plays a major role in her life now. Good news! She is here to stay and will no longer be living in Birmingham! We are back to visiting with her at our regular times and she'll be back at church starting this next week! I know the Lord protects his children, even when they are far away and we don't know how they are doing, He does. He does. :)

Lastly, I just want to share a story Sister Senior shared with me of her friend's experience. His family owns a barn and there was a big fire! They tried to save all the animals they could, but most perished in the flames. Once the fire was put out, they had to go and collect the dead animals. With a wheelbarrow, his dad took care of the barn as he headed out to the chicken coop. He placed one dead chicken after another into the wheelbarrow. As he picked up one hen, with her wing extended, little baby chicks came running from out of her wing. They had survived the flames of the fire because they were protected by their mother. Like in 3 Nephi 10:4-6, the Savior is the hen and his wings are extended out to gather us as his chicks. If we turn to him and his sacrifice of His life he gave for us, we too will be protected from the fiery darts of the adversary. And He, like the hen, stands there calling us and we are the ones that must run to Him. We cannot hope that we can be saved from the flames if we do not run under His wings of the Atonement. I urge you all to turn to Jesus Christ, our Savior. He will be our protector and through him we can be saved and forgiven from all our sins and imperfections.

I love this gospel and I love serving a mission. It has been a huge blessing. I pray for you all everyday and I love you with all my heart! Keep writing (and if I haven't written you back from Christmas, I am sorry! You'll be getting one soon! I am still trying to play catch up!) I love you!

Love,
Sister Salmond

P.S. As missionaries, we always have to back each other out as we drive in reverse. I was outside at night,
Demon dog!
after we heart attacked the Kilgores. I had my camera conveniently in my pocket from taking pictures of our heart attacking job.  As I got out to back Sister Senior out of the drive way, I suddenly noticed a vicious Pomeranian charging right at me! He was barking and ready to kill! I screamed to Sister Senior as I quickly took pictures of the attack! Thank goodness this last one was taken inside the safe vehicle! The Lord loves me! I am not meant to die yet! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment