Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mission Newsletter #14

This has been another slow week, although it's picking up a little bit; but don't worry the Lord is mindful of me! This was overwhelmingly evident on our slowest day on the mission thus far!

In our studies, we got a call that changed all our plans for the day. We suddenly went from a planned day to nothing. As we tried several finding techniques, the day kept creeping by slowly with boredom. But, the Lord provided a way of making my day a little more interesting. For this, I am oddly thankful that:

We walked into a jewelry parlor (thinking it was a knick knack store) to look so that we could run into someone to teach. We went in and it had like two people in it. We tried to talk to one lady working there, but no success. We could tell it wasn't going anywhere. With that, we left.

As we walked down the street and waited to cross, a lady who was in the store (a customer) raced over to us and to get our attention. She told us our skirt was tucked up in our underwear. Horror filled me at first as I quickly checked! I felt relief as I felt my skirt behind me.  Fewf! Sister Senior asked as she was checking if it was her. I was just grateful it wasn't me, but I guess I should've known since I have never done that before. Just then, I heard the lady reply to Sister Senior, "No, you!" as she pointed to me. What?! I never done this! I check and again, and sure enough, it was up there. How embarrassing?! I have been walking up and down the streets of downtown like that! "How much could you see?" I asked. Let me tell you, bad question, because she responded with chuckles, "Everything!" Oh wow! What a horrifying day! I just couldn't stop laughing with embarrassment.

I am grateful that the Lord cursed me with this tragedy because it definitely created a fun plot twist in our boring dead day. haha.

Later that day: After we made efforts to fill our day, with no where else to turn, we headed to Walmart and did service by pushing the shopping carts (or here known as "buggies") and putting them away. As ridiculous as it sounds, it is actually a great tool I learned because 1. you have fun 2. you're seen doing good as a representative of Jesus Christ 3. people approach you and thank you for doing it 4. it makes everyone happier! If you are ever looking for a good deed, check out Walmart! You'll see many people smile from it. :)



Random Note: Went out this week with a sister in our ward. She took us out to lunch at BBQ place. It was SO good! Some of the best bbq and quite inexpensive too. Family: that is definitely where I'll be taking you when you come out to visit. :) Everyone else, sorry, but you are missing out. Dun, dun, dun.

Good news! We got a hold of Tywanna once more! We called her and found out that she was back in the area due to a loss in the family and wanted us to come and comfort them and leave a prayer with the family. What a hard thing for them to be going through, but we were so happy to hear from her and get the opportunity to meet with her once more. She told us to come to her house an hour from then, which we did. No one seemed to be there. (That was soon verified by a man who told us that they had to leave about 5 minutes before to run more errands.) We were sad we missed them and got in the car and took off. As we got around the corner, there came Tywanna charging in her car going the opposite direction back to the house! She pointed at us as we saw her mouth to her friend, "There they are!" Wahoo! We did a big U-turn! With that, it seemed all too familiar to our last encounter with Tywanna, chasing her down her street (except this time, she wanted to see us!) Victory! We were enthused as we sang the classic song that is often used to portray horses racing (at least that's what I think of). We caught up to them at the house. It was so good to see her. It was evident she still had the Holy Ghost beaming from within her. The true testimony of this situation was to see her bear her testimony of the Plan of Salvation. She has truly found comfort amongst her trials. My testimony is strengthened through her.

Overall, my week has been incredible, but before I depart, I want to share a quick spiritual thought with you. In Alma 33, he has previously spoken of planting our faith like unto a seed and if we experiment on that faith, we will learn whether it is a good seed or a bad seed. He emphasizes prayer and then ends the chapter in verse 23 stating, "And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen." Notice the "if"? Everything God has created is evolved around this choice, the "if". We must choose to find faith. We must choose to be happy. We must choose to be forgiven. We must choose to love others. We must choose to work hard and succeed. It's all a choice, just like it is to be sad or mad. So, I want to challenge you, if you are having a hard time in your life, or aren't sure what road to take, rely on God in prayer and CHOOSE your path. With God by our side, our burdens can be made light... if we choose.

I love you all. Have a fabulous week!
Love,
Sister Salmond

p.s. We ate at the Kilgores this week. So good! Every meal is gormet! Chilled Carrot Soup as the appetizer and Grilled Salmon on Rice with Ratatouille. Yum! I can't wait to own her recipe book one day (she said she would put it on a flash drive for us. So you'll get the recipes too mom!)




No comments:

Post a Comment