Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mission Newsletter #16

So last night was one of the scariest moments of my life! We were visiting a member family. The family is really awesome and all the kids are college-aged or a little older. We were all sitting down in the family room about to share a message, when we heard yelling and screaming coming from the mom and daughter in the backyard. Loud barking and dog fighting roared! The father and two sons jumped up and ran outside, knocking down everything in their path, as the women all looked at each other in shock. Their pit-bull, who was a newer addition to the family, was attacking their dog who was healing from surgery. They had let the sick one outside, not seeing the pit-bull. This was their first time encountering one another. The men couldn't get the pit-bull to stop attacking! Finally, they ran and grabbed their guns and shoot to scare him. The gun shots didn't work at first, but finally they got the dogs apart. The whole family was upset. There was a lot of blood lost and they weren't sure if the injured dog was going to live. The pit-bull was the daughter's dog and the men want the dog to go. (I have to say, I totally understand their point of view and feel the same.) She was so upset. She loves her dog. I really don't know what the final verdict will be: put the dog down, get rid of him, or keep him. Sister Senior and I left a little shaken up, but we prayed for the family. I can't imagine how hard this has had to be for them. Strangely enough, this situation strengthened my testimony of men. They truly are the protectors. When they heard danger, they ran to the rescue and put their own lives at stake for those that they love. As I described before, all of us women were in shock. We were not so quick to react and protect. This is why God has created men and women to have these separate roles. We are nurtures. We were there to comfort the toddler, who was upset by the ruckus, and to hug the mother and grandmother when they needed the comfort and support. I am grateful for men and their ability to act quickly and drop everything to protect their family. That is a gift God truly gave men.

On a completely different note, Sister Kilgore made me Cinnamon Raisin Bread! Sweet! I used to eat that for breakfast like everyday at the Charleston and once I got allergilicious, I haven't been able to enjoy that sweet goodness! Oh man. I love tender mercies. :)

For the last few weeks, we have been teaching a 16 year old, Katelyn. She is such a sweetie! We met her because her grandma is a less active member we come and visit. One day her grandma wasn't there and we started teaching her. She has been taking discussions from us and went to mutual and church this week! We hope to set a baptismal date with her tomorrow. I have high hopes for this girl. :) (Katelyn is the farthest one on the right.)

We are also teaching Erica. She is the daughter of a woman we've been teaching, but we were going to drop because she has been taught for a year and wasn't progressing. Needless to say, Erica took a history of religion class and loved it and wanted to know more about our church, so we have taught her the restoration. We are not sure if she's interested beyond that because church here is more of a social event, but she said she'd read the Book of Mormon. So we'll see!

A couple funny moments: At correlation meeting, Bro. Burdick took us out to Mexican restaurant. For 5 lunch specials, it ended up being a whopping $100! I don't think they did the math right....) Also, Camron drew Sister Senior and I a picture because he missed us. Too cute! I love that family!



This week has been full of good times. I have really come to love my companion this week. We had an exchange and I realized how much I love Sister Senior and missed her so much! I am so grateful to have such a good friend I can spend everyday with. :)

Lastly, yesterday was our ward conference. We spent the day going to the youth classes with Katelyn and there the Stake President spoke to them. He said some things that really stood out to me and I loved. He said there is two things we must do to have Eternal Life:

1. A Testimony
2. Conversion. A Testimony is something we know and declare, but conversion is becoming. There are 4 things we need to do to be converted:
3. Keep the Commandments
4. As Questions & Be Willing to Act
5. Give Service
6. Worthily Partake of the Sacrament Each Week to renew all of our covenants (not just
7. our baptismal.)

We can know when we are truly converted when we have a "mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually." (Mosiah 5:2) I know this is so true. We must all gain our own testimony of this Gospel and of our Savior, but not just that, we much then become converted in order to live with our Father in Heaven and inherit Eternal Life.
I love the gospel and I love you all so much! Thank you for all your prayers! I hope you are all doing fabulous and have a great week ahead!  Oh! And Shout Out to Merrie and Michael Hess who were married this last week! I love you two! I wish you both the best!
Love,
Sister Heather Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment