Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mission Newsletter #11

Merry Christmas to Everyone!!! (And Feliz Navidad to a Special Someone. hehe.)


Christmas with the Bush Family
This week has been filled with Christmas Miracles! It's incredible watching the Lord play such an incredible role for those around us approaching this fabulous holiday!

Miracle 1: We had our Chirstmas Zone Conference this last Thursday.  Besides being able to do a fun skit as a district, our Mission President and his wife were able to speak to us. He asked us what we could give the Savior this Christmas while on our missions. He then shared with us these 5 things: 1. Our Knowledge of His Life (use that to share with others) 2. Our Testimony of Him 3. Our Gratitude to all He Gives Us 4. Our Very Best Effort 5. Our Service to our Brothers & Sisters. This devotional was a miracle to me because it was a big spiritual uplift for for the upcoming year. It helps give me specific drive and direction as I move forward in the mission.  However, I want to point out, that this is not only something missionaries can give. This is something all of you can give as well! I challenge you to think about how you can give this gift to Christ this year for Christmas. :)

Before our skit at Zone Conference

Our Skit 
Miracle 2: Alisa and her four kids are having Christmas this year! She has been stressed about what to do because she hasn't even had money to pay for her electric bill. We had the priveledge to tell her to fear not because God is watching out for her and her family because of their righteous decisions they have been making. Her miracle has been a witness to me about how much the Lord loves His children and is anxious to bless us as we turn to Him. They are yet to discover this this upcoming week, but until Christmas, Sister Senior and I can't forget it because their gifts that have been donated are taking over our room! You can't look at this and NOT know it's a miracle (and that's not even all of it.)

The toys for Alisa and her family (at least the first part)
Miracle 3: We finished up helping this morning sort food and prepare the Christmas roasts. After spending a few hours there, we had the privilege to drop it off at her house with the Kilton family. There was at least 100 meals per person. As we brought in the food, Alisa cried with amazement and joy. We told her it was from an anonymous person. You can see the gratitude she had. She will never be one who will ever become prideful. She is always so grateful and instills that in her children as well. It is truly amazing to watch and learn from her. 

Finishing up sorting food
Miracle 4: On Tuesday, Meagan and Michael informed us by text that they no longer wanted to see us. We could not "add or subtract from the bible" and we can't disregard any scripture. It was clear they had talked to an Anti. I suggested that maybe we write a letter to them, but Sister Senior didn't think it would help. She told me that she has never had an investigator who has listen to Anti come back and be baptized. 
       We went to district meeting sorrowful. We were lost and distraught at what we were to do. At district meeting we asked for advice. Elder Ojelade gave a second witness and advised us to write a letter. He testified that there is great power in letters, which I 100% agree with. We were also given some great scriptures to use- John 20:30-31 & John21:25
       After the meeting, we headed home with me being sick and Sister Senior being sick the day before. There, I was able to take a 45 minute nap. I woke up alert. I still didn't feel good, but couldn't stay still any longer. I had to get to work. With that, Sister Senior and I wrote the letter for Megan and Mike. We polished it until it was where we felt it should be. Leaving the apartment, we gave a sincere, heat-felt prayer to soften their hearts. Our plan: Go, Drop off the letter on the front porch, leave without disturbing them (since they didn't feel comfortable meeting with us again), and from there, leave the rest up to the Lord. However, as we pulled up to the house, Meagan stepped out and began to smoke. Fear entered since we didn't know how to approach the awkward situation at hand. We walked up, handing her the letter and apologizing for bothering her. Her body language was cold and stand-off-ish. I had felt up to this point very strongly that this wasn't the end for the two of them. God made that clear to me; yet, seeing her and knowing what Sister Senior has experienced in the past, it began to hit me that maybe this was the end. I asked to give a final hug. With emotions running high from illness, I began to cry. Instantly, when she saw my tears, her heart softened. "Don't cry. Here. Come inside. I don't want it to end like this," she said. I tried to wipe my tears as we entered the house, joining the rest of the family. 
        We sat down as she began to explain all the Anti they had received. The Spirit was able to enter as we explained the misunderstandings and taught them of the Atonement and the worth of souls. This was a miracle! The Spirit was truly in charge of this situation. By the end of the lesson, Meagan and Michael were back on for baptism and their wedding. They will be getting married this coming Friday at 5 pm by our Bishop and then baptized Saturday at 3 pm. What a miracle?! This couldn't be the end of them! I just knew it!

Miracle 5: Alisa has been hesitant to have her two oldest kids baptized because they have been recently baptized in a different church and wanted to make sure they knew the difference. This week we were able to address her concerns and ask them if they would like to be baptized along side of their mother. They both accepted. They have been wanting to get baptized as well for a while now. :) All three of them will now be baptized on Saturday at 6 pm! 

Miracle 6: WE ARE WITNESSING A WEDDING AND 5 BAPTISMS THIS COMING UP WEEKEND! But with that, we have a lot to do, since we are planning all of it. haha. 

As you can tell, this week has been full of miracles. However, before I go, I want to encourage all of you to remember the true meaning of Christmas, the Savior's birth, and to read Luke 2. I know with all my hear, that it is because of Him all these miracles are taking place. As you make Him a greater part of your life, I promise miracles will happen for you as well!

I love you all and have a Merry Christmas!
Love, 

Sister Salmond

P.S. Proof that I tried an anchovy! Not worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment