Monday, March 3, 2014

Mission Newsletter #20

The foursome one last time! Welcome home Elder Leali'ie'e! And Elder Osiemo will be following next week, heading back home to Kenya! Miss you guys!
Saying goodbye to Elder Wright. Leaving the District :( He's my pal.
We had transfers last week! The Senior and Salmond duo is no more! Senior got shipped out to West Point, Mississippi. However, now, there is a new duo and a new start with Sister Conant! She and I both grew up in Northern California and then moved during high school. Kind of crazy!  A few facts about Sister Conant: she is a mixture between Tori Jensen and Alexa Wiley (sorry forgot your new last name...) She loves rabbits and "delicious" food and her favorite Disney movie is the Lion King.

New Companion, Sister Conant
Funny Story I forgot to share last week! It was Valentine's Day and Sister Senior and I were entering Walmart. A car drove up and a guy yelled to us, "Do you guys have a Valentine?" We looked at each other and then replied, "No..." "Do you want one?" he asked. We were quick to reply, "No." He tried to convince us otherwise, but when we denied him he yelled as he drove away. "This Valentine's Day sucks! I even made an effort!" hahaha! So funny! Definitely was way too funny and totally made our evening!

Working on Pinewood Derby!
This week was the Pinewood Derby! Personally, I have always never liked the Pinewood Derby. It is seriously so intense and so much work! This time, Sister Senior and I helped Alisa and her kids with their cars. It was actually kind of us cuz all of us had no clue what to do! haha. This is why we don't have a pinewood derby in Activity Days or Young Womens! Alisa strapped up and got out her electric saw. We did one simple angle on each car and then sanded it and painted it. Wahoo! All done! Sister Senior wasn't able to be there for the derby, but needless to say, they didn't come out as first... But with each run, Alisa had a big smile and gave them a big high five! Even though they didn't do well, their attitudes were great! She said she'll know better for next year! I love that family!

Derby Badge and Certificate!
Guess what?! I got new boots from Sister Humphries!! She use to wear them dancing, but they don't fit her anymore. She's too old to wear them. All I can say is, hot. ;)


As for teaching, Katlyn is still doing great and we are aiming for her to be baptized March 8th, although the date may be moved. We just started teaching her friend, Diamond and she too has a baptismal date set for March 15th. We hope that they can build each other up and be a great support for each other as they start this new journey. :) We also are teaching Meka and Michael, who are engaged and have a family of three kids. Crazy enough, Meka is Alisa's distant cousin!! Right now their baptismal date is for March 22nd and I feel that Alisa's family and Meka's family could really help and lift each other up. There is so much good in having a strong support system. I hope to be able to help our investigators with this as we progress in teaching them. But there is a lot of high hopes for them all and I know that they are loved by our Heavenly Father. He has been watching over them and is ready to receive them back into his fold.          

This week we had our big finding event. The Movie Night of 17 Miracles! Katlyn came and there were about 15-20 nonmembers there with a total attendance of about 80! Big success. I told our mission president I wanted this "TO BE BIG!" I felt like we needed to set up more chairs. He didn't think we did. Let's just say, I won that battle. haha. Only a few minutes into the movie, more chairs had to be set up because there wasn't enough. Whoot! Whoot! Success! Loved the movie, and I know that there will be more than just those 17 miracles resulting from those we met that night!
     
Also, from that night, many lessons were taught in the movie. There is one in particular I want to share with you. In Alma 36:3 it states, "And now, O my son (or daughter) [your name], behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." It was evident that the saints received this support from God in their trials as they crossed the plains. There were so many miracles that came about because of their faith and because they turned to God. We each have miracles in our own lives. I challenge all of you to continue to learn of God and have faith in him and he will support you in your trials and provide many miracles in your life in the upcoming future. I love you all and wish you a happy future week!

Love,
Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment