Monday, March 17, 2014

Mission Newsletter #23


Happy St. Patrick's Day! All wearing green for the festive day!

Here are some of big things that happened this week:

1. We had a huge training on a new way of teaching. Funny enough, I received this training about 7-8 months ago back at home in a small ward fhe. We were taught to teach through the pictures in the pamphlets. Simplicity. Through this method of teaching, we can help the spirit guide, rather than the lesson plans. Although I have been taught it before, I never really got to use what I had been taught because I was trained differently and it was different than the mission culture. It was neat to see it come in to play and to use the lessons I had seen many moons ago.

Redid the weekly planning board - it's colofrul, now!
2. There is a woman in our ward, Arcola, who had her 70th Birthday/Retirement Party! It was huge! There were about 200 people there and we were able to help. We helped serve the meal, but not only that, she had Book of Mormons as her party favor with a book mark. We had the opportunity to stand at the doors and pass them out. That's like every missionary's dream! But seriously, what a neat idea? She inspired me. I don't nearly have as many non-LDS friends because I live in Utah, but it makes me want to pass out Book of Mormons as a party favor at my wedding or something like that too. I don't know if I'll get to use the idea, but WOW! Inspiring! This lady never ceases to amaze me!

A bird pooped right onto my door! We were heading back to the car after tracting and I saw him AIM and all!!! Rude. Don't worry, I shot him with my imaginary bow and arrow.
3. Last night, we were welcomed into Katlyn's house by her preacher's wife. There, we were told to take our materials (Book of Mormon, pamphlets, and her seminary stuff) and to leave. She tried to tell us that Joseph Smith is our Jesus Christ. Although this is in no way true, we were not given the chance to speak. There was no expression on Katlyn's face. It was like she no longer cared or loved us as we had loved her. That is what I think was the hardest part. We left that home with heavy hearts, never again able to return.

        It seems as though this has been the pattern of the week for me. It is as though those I love and care for are being ripped away from me, but I know that is because I have a lot to give. I know Satan is afraid of all that Sister Conant & I can do. The second we bring in the spirit strong into someone's life or do something great, he does everything in his power to undo it. He is scared of us and the power & impact we can make in our lives and in the lives of others. However, he will not win this battle with me. No sir. These experiences have only humbled me more and turned me to my Savior. I know he loves me and is there to lighten my burdens when I need it. In Mosiah 24:13-14, the Lord told His people, "Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."
        I am here on a mission to stand as God's witness. And although God doesn't promise to take away my
afflictions or trials, through Him, they can be lightened, as though I "cannot feel them." Deliverance will come. When? I don't know, but I know that the Lord is my Shepherd and I can lean on Him. When you too start to have these moments of hurt or bondage, lean on Him and I promise, He will visit you in your afflictions too.
Well, as a female, I don't only turn to prayer on the hard days. So last Monday, I made Apple Cobbler! I know they advise to not emotional eat... but WHATEVER! I am so going to emotional eat! haha. What can I say? I know what I want. ;)

Well, I love you all! Have a great week! God be with you!
Love,
Sister Salmond
Hangin' eating cobbler monday night with roomies and comp!

No comments:

Post a Comment