Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mission Newsletter #32

The Zone before transfers


This week I had my last few days with Sister Butterfield and had some last few fun goodbyes with people. I am going to miss that LOON! She is so sweet and I loved being her companion. :) (This is a pic of Justin giving us a thank you/goodbye gift. He is so great! Seriously.)

With Sister Butterfield leaving, in came Sister Shattuck! She and I were both trained by the same person:
Another fun goodbye with Sis. Butterfield :)
Sister Senior! Which makes us Sisters! (If you don't know missionary lingo, here you go. Your first area on your mission is known as your birthing area. Your trainer is your mother (or father if you’re an elder.) This creates a missionary family of grandmas, cousins, etc.) Sis. Shattuck and I are lucky enough to be sisters! So fun!

Studying at the Laundromat



Funny story: Saturday we had a big yard sale at our branch for our young women girl’s camp. There we had a lemonade/goodies stand so we could talk to people! Great finding activity! We met 20 new people that day that we were able to ask if we could teach or not. While there, an older man in our ward came to get some goodies for himself. We offered it to him. He said, "I'm trying to watch my weight!" while looking down at his stomach he said, "I sure can see it good!" I started busting! How funny is that?! Love that old man!

Met a new lady we're going to teach on Tuesday because she had the cutest little kittens bouncing around on
Meet the Kittens! And Sis. Shattuck!
her front porch. Next time I would challenge all of you to "Consider the [little kitties] in the field." ;) It may be the way God may just place someone in your path that you are supposed to meet.

Miracle story! On Friday, we exchanged with our sister training leaders. I stayed and Sister Shattuck went to the other area. When we arrived at one of our appts, however, they were talking with someone and asked if we could come back in a few minutes. So we decided to do some tracting around the corner. I felt impressed to go up a street and knock on the first house. So we did. Sadly no one was there. So we moved on. We came across a sweet couple. We prayed with them and had a return visit with them on Sunday.

Sunday came and Sister Shattuck and I went back for the appt. Their sister answered and told us they were sleeping and to come back later. As we headed back down the street, Sister Shattuck stopped at the first house and suggested we knock there. At first I responded, "Already tried that house. No one was home." But as I was saying that I realized, what are you thinking Heather?! This is a second witness that we need to go here! I quickly corrected my faulty human brain and we knocked. A guy answered the door. We asked if he lived with his family there. Nope! He responded that he lived there with 10 others guys. It was a half-way house (for those of you who don't know what that is, it's a rehab house.) Suddenly, it got awkward, as we realized this might not be the best situation for two small defenseless girls. (Also, we couldn't even go inside the house to teach since there would be no woman inside- Mission rules.) However, as we got talking to him and three other guys, they were all really nice and have been clean for a little while. They want to start their life over so they can see their kids, make a life for themselves, etc. There would be no better timing for them to find and accept Christ than now. They told us we could come and teach them. We have an appt set for this next Tuesday. We are so excited and know that the Lord lead us to their door, even though it took a couple of tries. The Lord has a plan. I am just so grateful that as missionaries, I can see His hand so prevalently in the work.
Cutest girl ever! Kimberly is a recent convert that we just adore!

Deuteronomy 5:32 "Ye shall observe to do therefore as the Lord your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left." I know that if we do as what the Lord would have us do, He will be by our side and we will be about to see His hand and role all along the way. I love that the Lord knows and loves each of us personally and is actively engaged in our lives. It's just our choice if we choose to see it.




I love you all so much. I hope you all this week try to see God's hand in your life.

Love you lots,
Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment