Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mission Newsletter #30



Finally braided my hair for the first time! Wahoo! (Sis. Butterfield had to redo it half way through the day cuz it came out, but not bad!!)

This next week is Mother's Day! Everyone treat your moms extra special! They deserve it! I love you Mom! I hope you know that! You are my best friend. :) Muwah!

Got in the paper!
Fun Facts about Sylacauga:
        1. There are over 200 registered churches (not including people's small worship services that they hold in their homes and aren't registered) within this small town of Sylacauga! Holy Cow!
        2. The Sylacauga Branch is the longest surviving branch in the country! (Most either become a ward or are shut down. We have been in limbo for at least 40 years!) We will get it moving. :)


Funny sign! Love it! (Outside of a different churches parking lot--they see it as they exit)
Now, I am sure everyone's wondering, what happened since last week with the tornado?!

The Tornadoes that hit Bessemer! Yikes!
Well, after emailing, we packed up our things and headed to the church. For the first time, I had to take the things that mattered most to me. I reflected on it later. Here are the items: scriptures, patriarchal blessing, journals, photos, a little angel statue, and some letters I cherish. Everything was the unreplaceable things: family memorabilia, God's words, and my personal writings. These are the things that matter most in my life: God, Family, and Journal Writing. Just interesting.





Anyways, after an hour or so at the church (our safe house for the storm), we got BORED OUT of our MINDS!  We were running out of things to do. This pic is a good example: Elder Miklich is drawing Rhinos which he pulled up pictures of on the Computer and Elder McGee is listening to an old recording of Porter Rockwell. This is reaching an all-time low for our level of boredom.


Sister Butterfield and I finally decided to make a fort. Best decision ever! Only lasted like a
half an hour though and then we got the news that the Watch had been cancelled for our county and we could go back to our apartments. Let me tell you, never spend 7 hours at a Church Building! It is not meant to be done and you will go crazy cuz you will run out of things to do! haha.


My new (soon-to-be) tan!
Also, just so everyone knows, I am going to get the most attractive tan out here in Sylacauga during the summer. It's happening already! And let me tell you, this is no ordinary Farmer's Tan... It's the Lord's Tan cuz it's his work I'm doing! ;) So watch out! I am going to get so HOT out here in Sylacauga! (and yes, I mean that both ways. oh baby.)

Sad news: To our disappointment, Justin has taken a step back. There have been some things that have come up that have caused him to doubt a bit. We don't know if the baptism is off or just postponed. He has spent the weekend away in the wilderness to figure things out. We should find out tomorrow what will happen. Pray for him!

Sonic Happy Hour with Sister Training Leaders
This week I've had the blessing to have a wonderful exchange with our dear Sister Training

Religious discussion with all different faith
Leaders, go to a religious discussion at one of our only restaurants in Sylacauga, and have interviews with our Mission President, President Hanks. All of these experiences have been blessings. They were all short little experiences that added up to help me feel my Savior's love for me. In return, I have felt my love grow as well for my Father in Heaven, my Savior, and those I have met in this mission. It's been such a blessing. I am so grateful for these tender mercies and evidences God gives us daily; we just have to recognize them.

Lastly, I want to leave a special note from Elder Matthew Cowley for the mothers (or soon-to-be mothers) reading this, especially to my mom: "You [sisters] belong to the great sorority of Saviorhood. You may not hold the priesthood. Men are different, men have to have something given to them to make them saviors of men, but not mothers, not women. You are born with an inherent right, an inherent authority, to be the saviors of human souls. You are co-creators with God of his children. Therefore, it is expected of you by the right divine that you will be the saviors and the regenerating force in the lives of God's children here upon the earth." Mom, I love you. You have always meant so much to me and played such an amazing role in my life. I am so grateful for our close relationship and your role in the family. We may not have had a lot of members born into our family, but they were our family all along. You truly are incredible and a co-creator with God (and a good one at that. For heaven's sakes, look at me! ;) Oh yeah, you did good. haha.) But for reals mom, I love you and thank you for everything you have done for me and the family and continue to do. I love you so much and miss you a lot. But don't worry, we'll catch up when I get home. You'll probably want me to shut up after a little bit, but I have 18 months to catch you up on so good luck with that one! haha. Love you mommy!

I love you all you women out there too, who have truly impacted me for good. You make a greater difference than you know. Happy Mother's Day!

Love,
Sister Salmond


No comments:

Post a Comment