Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mission Newsletter #26




Sister Conant and I both got transferred this week! We packed up our stuff, PACKED it in the car (Sis. Conant's seat was pushed up as far as it would go) and headed out! I have to say, maybe these weren’t the best driving conditions, especially with the bikes on back. haha!

Me, Sister Butterfield, and Sister Neufville (MTC Comp) at transfers!
But now I am here in Sylacauga for the next little while! Here is a poem Sister Butterfield, my new companion, and I wrote on the wonderful new time spent here in Sylacauga! :)

Well, Shoot my Boot!
We're in Sylacauga, Whoot! Whoot!
With transfers, Sister Salmond is here to stay,
We're ready for anything that comes our way!
The tiny branch here is crazy and old,
We're the Mormon Wives? at least we've been told...
We tip-toe so the ladies living below don't start a fight,
The weather alarm goes off all night.
As summer begins, all it does is rain,
Thank goodness Megan and Chris keep us sane!
Bikes at night can be pretty scary,
A lesson went from apostasy to Katy Perry!
Oh my! Don't know how that came out of his mouth!
But all I gotta say is I LOVE THE SOUTH!

haha. Hope you enjoyed that! Overall, Sylacauga is awesome! It's very country out here and there is more poverty than my last area. It's a very small branch of 15-20 people. We are on the verge of potentially losing our building. Our ward is really old, so we are only losing people and it can be hard to fellowship. Overall, I love elderly though, so I don't think that'll be a problem! :)

I finally started using my bike! First Time on the Mission! YAY!

First day on the Bike. SO SORE! haha!
We teaching a couple, Megan and Chris (like you read in the poem.) They are way sweet! But I want us to pause for a moment. Do you see the pattern I see? Let me review the couples I've taught thus far...
Meagan & Michael
Meca & Michael
Megan & Chris
There is either a Megan or a Michael every time! (Twilight Zone Theme Music)
It's kind of crazy weird. It freaks me out a little bit! It's obviously meant to be. Which reminds me, Meca will be baptized next week! (At least if everything goes according to plans...) Michael moved out so they can proceed to baptism, and hopefully he'll follow shortly behind Meca. He's solid though. I hope I'll be able to attend the baptism, but I am not sure yet. We'll see.

Logan was baptized yesterday! I couldn't go, but I loved teaching him all along the way! He was so
sweet and he knows God loves him. He has such sweet and genuine desires to do good. I wish I could've been there to see him be baptized, but I know he will do amazing things in his life!

Right after I got here to Sylacauga, we went to the Sander's family home. They have a beautiful home with 10 kids on about 150 acres. They eat basically off of everything on their farm and in their garden. How neat?! They are a very Christian family and invited us to come share our beliefs with them. We came, ate dinner and then we went to gospel discussion with the father leading. He asked, "What do you believe you have to be saved?" Sister Butterfield asked for clarification, "What do you mean by saved? Everyone has their own definition..." He began to explain their beliefs first. He basically drew out their Plan of Salvation and asked us to explain the differences we have. We first began explaining that we don't believe in the Trinity and then went into Modern Day Prophets. It quickly became apparent that they didn't really want to know what we wanted to believe, but that they wanted to save us instead. The father told us that we essentially we're the ones it speaks of in the bible that go to Christ and thought they knew Him, but are denied and cast into hell. Don't get me wrong, they weren't mean, but genuinely concerned for us. The night grew late and we left, not being able to explain much of what we believed. (It was hard to get a word in with so many people in the family participating.) Many questions were left open, which turned me to the scriptures to study it out.
        The question I have been studying much up on is "Where in the Bible does it say we have a need for a modern day prophet?" I was not sure to be honest. I was familiar with Amos 3:7, which I left with them, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." However, as I did more studies, I could not find where it specifically spoke of it. I found one of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon in Isaiah, but that was it. So I thought again. I remember them saying to us that we have to be aware of false prophets... I then thought, if there are false prophets, then there must be real ones! I turned my studies to characteristics of false prophets. It was an incredible experience to study these characteristics and then the next day watch general conference. It is so evident that they are men of God! I know that they speak truth and that they are true witnesses of Him. I love this church and I know it is true with all my heart. I am grateful for the modern revelation that we have. No matter how others may feel, I know that I am doing what the Lord would have me do and this is truly His divine church on the earth.

I love you all! Have a fabulous week!
Love,
Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment