Monday, June 23, 2014

Mission Newsletter #37


Good news! Sis. Shattuck and I'll be together in Sylacauga another transfer! Part-AY! Also, got creative
and made my own ice cream with frozen bananas, coconut, canned pineapple, and almond coconut milk. Turned out pretty good! Yum!

So, this week, I crossed off a bucket list item that I recently added since being on the mission. It was to go through the car wash (that had a POWERFUL blow dryer) and as the car is drying, roll down the window and let my face get blown off! Sounds stupid to y’all probably, but I thought it'd be fun and give a bit of a thrill. So, Sis. Shattuck and I found a specific gas station that had a particularly strong blower and set out last p-day as the lucky day to cross this item off the list. Oh baby!  I waited for the Booming Blow of the dryer, rolled down the window, let it blow! Wahoo! Call me Crazy. :) (Don't worry family, I did record this moment. I'll be sending it home on a drive soon. Until then, here's a pic to prove it.)

Here in the South, bugs are EVERYWHERE!!! Save me! Mom, I know you told me that on my mission I'd
Part of the trail of bites - Gross, huh?!
get use to spiders, but let me tell ya, it's NOT WORKING! If anything, they are scarier and more populated here, making my fear increase! I slept with one the other night on accident! Turns out we have a love-hate relationship. I hate them, but they LOVE me. The spider ate down my whole leg and wrapped around all the way to my big toe. Rude.

We also have roaches, of course, that keep trying to withstand our magical bug-killing spray to live a blissful life indoors. Let me tell ya, they keep kickin’ for a long time! Ew! Not ok. haha.

Lastly, we have silk worms everywhere in the trees! Crazy! I remember growing my own baby silk worm in 1st grade. For cute! The only thing is they're not as cute as I remember... They basically live in a huge spider web, which creeps me out a bit, so... I keep my distance. It's like a cute caterpillar that has spider-like abilities. It's cool for Spiderman, but not worms. ;)

Went running with Justin to spice up our lessons. It's his hobby. It was actually really good cuz we were just able to jog and talk about his interests, while teaching gospel principles along the way. It was a good gospel discussion and he really enjoyed it. :) 

Also, over the last few weeks we've been teaching a 13 year old girl, Esse and her grandmother. Esse is so sweet and has come to mutual all 3 times now, church twice, and will be baptized this coming Saturday! She's had a rough past with a mother leaving the picture young, but this will be a new life for her starting on the 28th. She is looking forward to that. :)  (Her grandma should be following her, shortly.)
 
Young Women's Wednesday! (Esse on left.) It was also Mariah's, our only current young woman’s, birthday.
Reason for the cake and sign. :)
This last Wednesday for young women's, we made pillow cases with our future goals on it! Sis. Shattuck and
I were lucky and able to make on too! How fun?! Being the perfectionist and girly-girl I am, I made mine princess themed. Esse, on the other hand, put baptism on hers! That was so exciting to see! As we made the cases, she saw Sis. Shattuck printing out Temple pictures to trace onto our cases. We were able to teach her a little bit and now she too wants to marry in the Temple!

Just like in the situation where Esse saw the Temples on our pillow cases, we all can be subtle examples of the believers. Don't be afraid to show what you believe or speak about it. Others are watching, even if we don't realize it. By doing so, it can open a door to help them receive the Restored Gospel or for current members, strengthen their testimony by your faith. In 3 Nephi 18:24, the Savior instructs the Nephites on this principle:

"Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up-"
 
Hold up your light. Let people learn and grow closer to their Savior by your example and faith. Let them feel the Savior's love through you and it will turn them naturally to our Father in Heaven to feel that love even greater in their life. I know this is true. I've seen other's influence me in my life this way and I continue to see it change me and others.

The gospel's true. I love you all. Have a blessed week!

Lots of Love,

Sister Heather Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment