Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mission Newsletter #1

Hello Everyone!

Ok, so the MTC is hard right off the bat. I got homesick like... A LOT! Had a breakdown or two, so I guess I am doing something right, since that is what people have told me I should have at least once while I am here. Everyone tells you, make it through Sunday! It will be much easier after that.  Yeah, whatever!  Monday came and my morning still was a little sad. I thought maybe the rule wouldn't apply since we had had Conference and not classes the last two days, but nope! Monday got so much better!  Also, Conference was great!  I loved David McConkie's talk and Christofferson's. (Christofferson is probably no surprise since I want to be a mommy.) Either way, Conference helped me relax, feel caught up and feel a little closer to home, although it still isn't quite the same.

Life is getting so much better though!  Well, first off, I AM WEARING JEANS!!! Let me tell you, you don't realize the joy behind something so simple. It feels so good to wear them again.  Want to hear something totally and completely ironic?  So I had my jacket in the air depressor bag and I got to the MTC and it got FrEeZiNg! I did not want to open the bag and get out my jacket unless I absolutely had to.  After two days of being frigid, I finally cracked it opened and got out my jacket. I only used it half of the day and haven't needed it since! What the heck?! Lame Utah weather!

Classes are going good! I have been learning and growing so much! My scriptures are starting to get more and more colorful. :) I really like our teacher Brother Cowdon! He is awesome and teaches really well. Brother Usevitch, on the other hand, can be way strict. He turns to Preach my Gospel for everything, which isn't necessarily bad. Did you know that he made me feel bad for saying "Ready Freddy?"  He said we need to have dignified language as missionaries. I agree, and I know that is good, but i feel that "ready freddy" is a completely innocent pump up phrase. But I am working on it. I just haven't dealt with someone like this before.

My companion, Sister Neufville, and I taught our first investigator yesterday! We had no clue that that is what we were supposed to do. The schedule said TRC, which we didn't know what that was, so we just went to the classroom. When we got there, we were informed and set upstairs to teach her. WHAT?! We didn't get to prepare or anything! So we said a quick prayer and knocked. It didn't go too bad actually. We were really happy leaving the room. Now, I had a baby idea of what they mean by the joy you feel from bringing someone unto Christ. It is wonderful!

Ok, I never thought this would every happen to me, but I get made fun of for being the studious one!  Me?  So here's the truth, I just use my study time. We are here to learn andif I'm not learning, what am I doing here?  If we finished something early, I usually try to write in my journal or read. The other girls think I should break more and think it is ridiculous how much I study, but if I don't learn, how is the Holy Ghost and the Lord supposed to help me? Also, I am here for the Lord. Therefore, all my actions should be made with him in mind. If I am sacrificing so much myself, and others are sacrificing for me, I will not mock this precious time I am given. Kind of harsh sounding I guess, but I want to do my best.

Lastly, yes, I have seen "Elder Scruggs." It's weird calling him that!  I saw him the first day at dinner. It was seriously so cute! He covered his mouth with a big smile and did a total double take. We raced to each other and chatted. It was so hard not to hug him. I have seen him quite a bit since then. It gets easier and easier not to touch him. We have taken pictures together! I can't send them to you since my lack of resources right now, but they'll be coming soon hopefully!  He has introduced me to his district and apparently they know quite a bit about me. Also, he totally LOVED the Superman onsie I got him. So did all his roommates.  :)  It has been a blessing to have him around. (Oh, I can't write him! How sad! That was hard when I first found that out, but now I am just looking forward to getting all of them at once in Alabama since we agreed to still write, just not send them.)

Well, that's it for now!  Thank you everyone for your prayers!
Love you!
-Sister Heather Salmond

p.s. I am losing weight here... still! I am eating only fruit and salad everyday. I am getting sick of the salad since it is only lettuce, carrots, oil and vinegar. A teacher from our mission, Brother Burdette, says I'll do fine with my dietary things on the mission, which made me feel good. He also said he lost weight on the mission! Didn't see that one coming! Hopefully, that will be the case for me too! hehe. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment